Monday, October 17, 2005

Immunizations post transplant

In my case, three years after my allogeneic transplant and well over a year after discontinuing my Cyclosporine (anti-rejection medication), I finally spent the past few months bringing my "shots" up-to-date.

Here's what they've given me:

June 2005 - 4 shots
  • Diptheria/Tetanus (DT)
  • Killed Polio (IPV)
  • Hepatitis B
  • Haemophilus Influenza type B (HiB)

July 2005 - 4 shots

  • Diptheria/Tetanus (DT) again
  • Killed Polio (IPV) again
  • Hepatitis B again
  • Meningococcal C

October 2005 - 3 shots

  • Influenza
  • Meningococcal P
  • Pneumococcal P

Now I'm scheduled in December for a booster Hep B and booster T/D.

They are going to check with the physician to determine whether I should have MMR - Measles, Mumps, Rubella.

3 Comments:

Blogger jvlong said...

Do you have any concerns about immunizations causing refractory disease?

3:38 PM  
Blogger gwg said...

I read a few postings on the ACOR MM bulletin board expressing concerns about immunizations "reawakening the beast", i.e., causing refractory disease.

The immunizations are a standard protocol for follow-up on allo stem cell transplants (at the bone marrow transplant clinic where I am treated) and the transplant nurse especially recommended a flu shot.

I have not seen anything from a Myeloma physician or any published research recommending against immunization and logically it doesn't seem to make sense that a dead virus should cause cancer. (Note: live viruses are strictly forbidden, ergo, e.g., no immunizations allowed against pertussis, which is a live vaccine.)

Therefore, I was surprised to read the comments on ACOR and I will raise them in my next visit to the clinic, since immunizations are a standard practice.

In my case I received the immunizations (and posted my information to this blog) before becoming aware of potential concerns. Let me know if you find anything published on this topic. I'd be keenly interested, but as with most things Myelomic, I doubt that any information exists.

1:23 PM  
Blogger gwg said...

Here is the reply from my local MM Oncologist, "There is no evidence to suggest that immunizations have any impact on myeloma. If enough people with myeloma get immunized, some of them will relapse within a month of being immunized."

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Hit Counter