Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Vitamin C Inhibits Velcade

Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) significantly reduces the activity of Velcade (bortezomib) in treatment of multiple myeloma, according to a recent article published in Nature.

Preclinical studies suggest that vitamin C, which is one of the most common dietary supplements for cancer patients, increases the efficacy of cancer drugs and decreases treatment-related side effects. However, more recent studies show that vitamin C can counteract the activity of certain cancer chemotherapy agents, including Velcade, in the body.

Studies have shown that a hydroxyl group (-OH) in vitamin C directly binds to boronic acid in Velcade. This significantly reduces the affinity of Velcade for the proteasome, decreasing its destructive activity toward myeloma cells.

The article published in Nature examines how Vitamin C affects Velcade activity in mice. Dr. Paul Richardson, a physician at Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Associate Professor at Harvard Medical School, said that a study testing the effect of vitamin C on Velcade’s efficacy in myeloma patients is in the planning phase. As seen in previous studies, vitamin C significantly reduced the activity of Velcade, and the degree of inhibition was dose-dependent. In order to test whether vitamin C selectively inhibits Velcade by a direct binding between vitamin C and boronic acid, the authors of the article examined if vitamin C inhibited other classes of proteasome inhibitors. Vitamin C significantly blocked the activity of MG-262, which is also a boronic acid proteasome inhibitor, but it did not inhibit NPI-0052, lactacystin, or MG-132, which all belong to other classes of proteasome inhibitors. These results suggest that vitamin C selectively inhibits proteasome inhibitors containing boronic acid.

Based on these results, the authors of the article suggest that myeloma patients receiving therapy with proteasome inhibitors, particularly Velcade, should avoid taking vitamin C supplements at the same time as their proteasome inhibitor. Vitamin C should be specifically avoided at least 12 hours before and after Velcade treatment. Furthermore, the authors advise that all antioxidant supplements, which contain hydroxyl (-OH) groups that bind and inhibit Velcade, be avoided in patients receiving treatment with Velcade and other boronic acid proteasome inhibitors. In a follow-up conversation with Dr. Richardson, he specified that patients taking Velcade only need to avoid antioxidant supplements, not fruit juices that contain vitamin C. Additionally, he emphasized that supplements only need to be avoided on days when Velcade is taken.

3 Comments:

Anonymous John Abrahamson said...

Hi,
I've much appreciated your blog for several years--as I've had MM since 2003. I hope you are OK and will continue your excellent research.thanks.
John

11:24 AM  
Blogger gwg said...

Thanks John

I am well. Thanks for asking. Revlimid has turned out to be a blessing for me although I don't care for the Dex!

I've taken a break because the web police got on my case about infringing copyright, but mainly because work has been occupying my time.

The next time I see an interesting MM article or news I will post to my blog.

I've had MM since 2002 and like you I'm fighting the daily battle.

Best Regards and stay healthy.

Will

1:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was born with HIV my mother passed away because of the HIV infection And I regret why i never met Dr Itua he could have cured my mum for me because as a single mother it was very hard for my mother I came across Dr itua healing words online about how he cure different disease in different races diseases like HIV/Aids Herpes,Parkison,Asthma,Autism,Copd,Epilepsy,Shingles,Cold Sore,Infertility, Chronic Fatigues Syndrome, Lupus Cure,Fibromyalgia,Cancer,Alzheimer's disease,psoriasis,Bipolar Disorder,Dementia Disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Stroke,Fibromyalgia,Weak Erection,Breast Enlargment,Penis Enlargment,Hpv,measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria)Diabetes Hepatitis,I was so excited but frighten at same time because I haven't come across such thing article online then I contacted Dr Itua on Mail drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/www.drituaherbalcenter.com . I also chat with him  he tells me how it works then I tell him I want to proceed I paid him so swiftly Colorado post office I receive my herbal medicine within 4/5 working days he gave me guidelines to follow and here am I living healthy again can imagine how god use men to manifest his works am I writing in all articles online to spread the god work of Dr Itua Herbal Medicine,He's a Great Man.  

12:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Hit Counter