Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Importance of Oral Hygiene

Good oral hygiene and proper dental care apply to all age groups but the needs of the elderly population can be slightly different than the needs of younger people.

I will try to list several areas of concern and how they pertain to this age group.

Why save your teeth?

A missing tooth affects many things including your oral health, your bite, your speech, your general health and your appearance.

When a tooth is lost, the remaining teeth may drift into the empty space, causing changes in biting and chewing and possibly causing pain in your jaw from the bite being misaligned. Remaining teeth may be more prone to decay if they are misaligned.

Many speech sounds that we make are made because of the position of the tongue against your teeth or the roof of your mouth. Having missing teeth can cause changes in a person's speech.

People with missing teeth often cannot chew their food properly to be digested and subsequently may end up with digestive problems and/or nutritional deficiencies.

Missing tooth will affect your appearance and may have a negative effect on one's self-esteem.

Oral health and your heart
Recent research shows that there is a link between periodontal (gum) disease and heart disease. People who have gum disease may be at a higher risk for heart attacks, although no one is certain how this happens. The current theory is that bacteria present in infected gums can become loose and move throughout the body. The same bacteria that cause gum disease and irritates our gums might travel to your arteries.

What can you do? Proper home care, including brushing and flossing regularly, is essential as well as regular visits to your dentist for periodontal maintenance.

Oral health and bisphosphonates
Patients who have been receiving intravenous bisphosphonates should avoid having teeth pulled at all costs. Many people are being treated with bisphosphonates for a variety of medical problems including osteoporosis, multiple myeloma, breast, lung and other cancers and Paget's disease. While those medications are terrific in treating a number of medical conditions, there is a risk of developing an osteonecrosis (breakdown) of the jaw bone as a result of an invasive dental procedure while taking these medications.

The most important step to prevent these problems is to have a dental consultation before beginning the bisphosphonate therapy and having all invasive procedures done before therapy is initiated.

Oral health and diabetes
It is estimated that one-third of the population in the U.S. has diabetes, yet only one-half of these patients are diagnosed.
The biggest problems for diabetics from a dental point of view are infections, periodontal disease and salivary problems.
Infections can result in improper healing following extractions and other surgical procedures.

Diabetics are very susceptible to periodontal disease and in their case it may be more severe and more difficult to maintain than in a person without diabetes.

Finally, salivary flow can be diminished in diabetics, which will result in a higher rate of caries (cavities).

Proper diet, good oral hygiene and regular dental visits can help keep the oral problems of diabetes in check.

Oral health and tobacco use
While the usage of tobacco has been declining in the last decade, it is still very high in the population and its consequence in the mouth is oral cancer. While the rate of oral cancer isn't as high as with other cancers, it is often devastating and fatal.

A word to the wise is sufficient with tobacco use, both smoking tobacco and chewing tobacco.

If you currently use tobacco, quit immediately. If you don't use it, don't start.

Older patients' dental needs
In tough economic times such as these, there is concern about the cost of maintaining one's oral health.

One doesn't need to do high-cost elective dental procedures if there are monetary constraints. But there is a need for all patients of all ages to maintain proper oral hygiene and seek regular professional care to prevent the consequences of neglect.

Keep periodontal disease under control with proper brushing and flossing techniques and regular cleanings.

Have broken teeth fixed or extracted before they result in infections.

Have ill-fitting dentures fixed or replaced so they don't cause irritations.

Have an oral cancer screening regularly.

Prevention is more prudent and less costly than repair.

Dr. Francis X. Barra, Doctor of Dental Surgery, is the director of dentistry at FoxCare Dental Associates and is a member of the medical staff at A.O. Fox Memorial Hospital in Oneonta.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear anybody,
My name is Corol ann Kirk I live at 16 Turton close, Brighton,BN2 5DA my home telephone number is 01273672802
My mother died soon after I was born, my father a proud man brought me up on his own. When I was about ten years old the kids at school used to call me names, and when I asked my father questions he shrug his shoulders and say "Take no heed they don't understand" At the age of about 25 years, I applied for compensation, from the Thalidomide Trust and they told me that because the doctors records no longer exist, I cant prove I'm a thalidomide child, My hands and feet are smaller than most, My father told me my mother was on thalidomide, I work 12 hours a day in an old peoples home and struggle on with no help from anyone, A friend told me to contact you in the hope that you can ask the right questions to the right people, I feel so let down by all this I've virtually given up all hope.
Please if there's anything you can do to help it would be appreciated
Thankyou, corol kirk,

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Timothy McLaney said...

Dentists never stop reminding their patients about proper oral hygiene. Usually, they would advise this so that their patients could avoid tooth lost. Unfortunately, not all of us were able to maintain good teeth. That's why they've underwent dental implants and dentures. Replacing tooth is very important not only for enhancing oral aesthetics, but also for avoiding gum problems, misaligned teeth, and crowding.

5:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Unfortunately there are a lot of AIDS/Herpes denials on Herbal cures still out there. I did research on them after I was tested HIV/Herpes positive I was so worried am I going to die soon. I continue my search again on herbal remedy for Std, then I found lots of testimony on how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine Cured HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus,Copd,HPV,Cancer, Hepatitis,Shingles, Diabetes,Epilepsy,Infertility, On websites sharing their testimonies, which made much more sense to me. All the authors pronounce Dr Itua As a man with Good Heart, I pick interest in their testimonies and I contact him about my situation then he gave me procedure how it works, I proceed after one week he courier his Herbal Medicine to me and instruct me on how to drink it for two weeks to cure. I receive His Herbal Medicine so I drank it for two weeks as I was told then after 2 days I go for a test I found out I was cured from HIV/Aids & Herpes Virus, I pay homage to him 2 months ago to his country to celebrate with him on his African festival which he told me it usually happens every year. I know there are lots of (HIV)/Aids Herpes Virus denials of Herbal Remedy movement, the same few doctors and they represent a very small fraction of the community. I could have died because I refused Natural Herbs Cures for so long, but luckily, by the grace of God I am alive to tell my story. Contact Info...Whatsapp Number...+2348149277967,Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Hit Counter